Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ecommerce Beginnings - XXX

Welcome to this weeks' Ecommerce Beginnings article.

CONTENT, TRAFFIC and HAPPY CUSTOMERS

This past week I did something that I haven't done in almost 10 years. I attended the Town Council meeting in the town that I live in. I won't bore you with all of the details of the meeting, but the reason I am mentioning this here is because of the analogy I see between the town council meeting and the internet. Both are very public venues where people can share information and interact freely with one another. This is very similar to the "new" Web 2.0 where everyone is promoting "user created content" as the newest fad! Well, this "fad" has been around for the past few hundred years in the United States. The Internet is just a new way of packaging "user created" content.

As I sat and listened to the different agenda items being discussed and to different individuals expressing their views, the whole time I kept thinking about shoppers and businesses and customers. I was thinking: " Do the town council members know that the citizens are their customers?" "Do they know how to treat their customers so that they will continue to shop, i.e. live in this town?" The analogy to people who shop online being a websites' "customer" and understanding that you only have one chance to make a great impression on your "customer" was all I kept thinking about during this meeting.

One of the reasons I kept thinking about this was because the council members weren't doing a very good job of listening to their customer's wants and needs. It seemed that they were more concerned with just how they looked to everyone, but they lacked substance. I guess the analogy here is a website that looks great, but as soon as you start to click and read through it all you find are ads and no content of any real value!

Why would anyone want to shop at a place like that? You wouldn't would you? No, you would leave this site and seek out a site that provided real CONTENT to you!

So, if your goal is to be successful online, make sure your website has real CONTENT, so your CUSTOMERS will be satisfied, and maybe even delighted, so that they will keep coming back to your site (TRAFFIC) and/or to buy products that you may be selling.

That's all for this week!

As always, I wish you the best in your success! We hope you found this weeks' article interesting and/or helpful.

Make sure you stop back each week for our latest installment. Take care and have a great week!

Mark@original-new-england-enterprises.com

Original New England Enterprises

No comments: